[blfs-support] Network Manager Woes

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 16 16:28:08 PST 2013

On 12/16/2013 05:31 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> I was spinning my tires and decided to install "network-manager-applet."
> To eliminate the gory details, what I learned was that Network Manager
> was trying to authenticate my wireless card and asking for the password
> to the router. The problem was that it was already associated and I just
> glibly restarted the network when Network Manager brought my NIC down.
> When I start Network Manager on boot, I get that repeating mish-mash and
> must do all this after I've logged on. Is the whole situation as simple
> as removing the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network" from the boot process? Or is
> it better to just pass "no" from the "ONBOOT" line of ifconfig.wifi0?

Yes, this is the way to do it. I changed the ONBOOT line in
ifconfig.wif0 to "no." I again set up Network Manager to start on boot,
but the scrolling messages stopped after notification that my NIC
authenticated and associated. I didn't get my login prompt. I hit CTRL-C
and enter, and then I could proceed.

It looks like Network Manager needs to start after login to keep the
process running directly. So once again, I removed the daemon command
from the startup scripts and set it to "autostart" when I started xfce4.
However, I needed "sudo" to make it run.

I've got what I want now, but since I used sudo, I think I have "gotten
around" the console-kit and polkit security. I'm thinking that I need a
rule for polkit to allow me, or members of the netadmins group to run
Network Manager without a password.

Dan