[blfs-support] ALSA and No Sound

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 20 15:13:18 PST 2013

On 12/20/2013 01:36 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've had issues over the years getting alsa to play.  It's always a
> configuration problem for me.
Amen. I say, amen. This is my experience too. And sometimes the
configuration involves a type-o. A good example is one that reads:

default.pcm.card 1

instead of

defaults.pcm.card 1

If there are three statements of similar syntax in a .asoundrc file
dealing with ctl, pcm and pcm.device, then chances are that things won't
work. There is an equal probability that once these type-o's are
discovered and fixed, someone, who is wearing headphones because he
thought his speakers didn't work right, might almost blow out his ear
drum using:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav

It is also equally probable that `speaker-test` would work too.

Let me report that in this instance the probability of occurrence for
all those events was 1.00 for me.

Thanks, Bruce, for prompting me, once again, to not over think the
situation and to examine the forest very closely for individual trees.

Next is printing and I use hplip with a wireless printer. List beware! :)

Dan