[blfs-support] Complete Backup of {,B}LFS

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sun Dec 22 17:07:43 PST 2013

On 12/22/2013 12:55 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Why not just 'cp -a /  <mount point>'
>
> You will want to clean the virtual file systems in any case.  You could
> also do:  'tar -c --one-file-system - | tar -x -C <mount point>' which
> will avoid the virtual file system problem (but the virtual file systems
> mount points need to be created).
>
> If you boot to a 3rd system and do not have the virtual file systems
> mounted, you can just do:
>
> $ sudo cp -a /mnt/lfs  mnt/lfs2
I ultimately chose cp over cpio. I may have mis-read the results of
--no-preserve-owner for cpio, but I didn't use that option in an
experiment and the ownership was changed to root for everything.

And the cp -a /mnt/lfs /mnt/lfs2 format worked like a charm. I'm sure
the directory tree was not as complicated as the example akh used in his
post, so I figured there wouldn't be a problem.

Ubuntu can be, at times, as "hinky" as Windows. As I randomly checked
directories and files for permissions. The uid's and gid's for all the
package users were indicated for files. However, when I checked my home
directory the files were owned by "libuuid" and were assigned to group
"sudo." But back here in LFS, everything was as it's supposed to be.
Interesting.

Dan