[blfs-support] Xorg required dep when following links in BLFS

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Dec 23 02:07:25 PST 2013

Greetings,

There is a problem with BLFS and Xorg deps when someone follows the
links for required dependencies of Xorg libs.

An example:

When a user attempts to build WIreshark, the require deps will take
them all the way to xorg-proto.

I have also been told that util-macros isn't required for xproto. I
haven't confirmed, so I won't deal with that here.

THe problem is, that when someone is following required dependencies
and gets to xorg-proto or util macros, XORG_PREFIX won't be set if
they follow dependencies rather than going straight to the Xorg
introduction page.

xorg-proto ( which has util-macros as required dependency) does not
have Xorg introduction as a required dependency where XORG_PREFIX and
XORG_CONFIG is set.

This is a problem and has been for some time. Users constantly come to
support (more irc than the mailing list) with issues regarding
libraries and headers not found. Of course, we don't support zombies,
but clearly, if you go from top to bottom and then someone decides
that they would want to install Xorg dependencies while following
required dependency links, they don't get XORG_CONFIG or XORG_PREFIX
set.

Since the Xorg libs will eventually link the required deps all the way
to util-macros as a required dependency of xorg-proto, I think it'd be
a suggestion to have the xorg introduction as a dependency of util-
macros or xorg-proto or both.

A lot of people do follow links rather than know if they want to build
some or all of Xorg, and when they do this, they don't get to the Xorg
introduction page for Xorg. People can argue all they want that users
should know if they want any or all of Xorg installed before building
an app that may use a GUI. The problem is that the required dependency
chain is broken. I followed Wireshark all the way back to util-macros,
and nothing about XORG_PREFIX and XORG_CONFIG was mentioned.

Sincerely,

WIlliam Harrington