[blfs-support] Complete Backup of {,B}LFS

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Dec 23 06:10:32 PST 2013

On 12/22/2013 08:55 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu can be, at times, as "hinky" as Windows. As I randomly checked
>> directories and files for permissions. The uid's and gid's for all the
>> package users were indicated for files. However, when I checked my home
>> directory the files were owned by "libuuid" and were assigned to group
>> "sudo." But back here in LFS, everything was as it's supposed to be.
>> Interesting.
> That's just that Ubunto and LFS have a different UID/name or GID/group
> mapping.  The only thing that counts, except for display, is UID/GID.
>
>     -- Bruce
I understand that. What I was remarking about was the assignment in the
/home/dan directory. On the Ubuntu side of my system my UID=GID=1000. I
expected to see 1000:1000 when I checked the attributes. Instead I saw
libuuid:sudo. This is the first time I've ever seen that when I look at
files from different "systems" on another "system."

Just by way of example, from by Package Users System for "hdajackretask"
that I just installed. UID=GID=10306 for alsa-tools-1.0.27. While I was
in Ubuntu I checked it and it was listed as 10306:10306.

I was remarking on the oddity of "libuuid:sudo" when I looked at my
files from LFS in Ubuntu. In my Ubuntu there is not a user "libuuid" nor
is there a group "sudo." This is "hinky."

Dan