[blfs-support] Circular Dependencies--sane-backends and hplip

Arthur Radley MisterArthurRadley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 14:52:02 PST 2013

Dan McGhee <beesnees <at> grm.net> writes:

> Does anyone have experience with installing hplip and sane?

I have an HP All-In-One printer-scanner working well in BLFS 7.4. My
experience...

I installed SANE-1.0.23, XSane-0.998, net-snmp-5.7.2, and hplip-3.13.9 in
that order. No problems with that. I probably never ran that scanimage -L
test you mentioned.

I did have to edit the udev rule created when hplip was installed
(56-hpmud.rules) to adjust the idProduct number, owner, and permisssions. It
would not print until I figured that out. For example...

...ATTR{idProduct}=="ac11", OWNER:="boo", GROUP:="lp", MODE:="0664"...

The scanner rule installed by sane doesn't list my HP device, but I left the
scanner rule as it is. Printing and scanning both work well.

FWIW (maybe nothing),

Arthur