[blfs-support] Xorg required dep when following links in BLFS

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Dec 24 15:42:07 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 04:07 -0600, William Harrington wrote:
> xorg-proto ( which has util-macros as required dependency) does not
> have Xorg introduction as a required dependency where XORG_PREFIX and
> XORG_CONFIG is set.

Do we really have a reason for having these variables, instead of just
installing X into /usr like most other packages? As the book notes, the
distros don't do this anymore... is there any advantage to inexperienced
users in using a separate path by default?

Seems to me it would be easier to build into a standard location by
default, and let those who know what they're doing change it... it
simplifies things, given that users no longer need to worry about
setting XORG_PREFIX, fiddling with PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc...

Simon.