[blfs-support] Complete Backup of {,B}LFS

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Dec 24 15:46:52 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 07:59 -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:

> > --no-preserve-owner
> >         Do not change the ownership of the files; leave them owned
> >         by the user extracting them.
>
> To me that phrase "leave them owned...." says that the files will be
> owned by me when I'm done and seems to contradict the first part of
> the sentence which is what I wanted to have happen.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. CPIO will extract the
files as whatever user it's running as - presumably root. But you don't
want all the files to be owned by that user - you want them owned by
whatever user they originally belonged to.

If you pass that "no preserve owner" option, the ownership won't be
copied with the files, and they'll end up all owned by the user doing
the extract.

Simon.