[blfs-support] Circular Dependencies--sane-backends and hplip

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 27 05:52:22 PST 2013

On 12/24/2013 04:52 PM, Arthur Radley wrote:
> Dan McGhee <beesnees <at> grm.net> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have experience with installing hplip and sane?
>>
> I have an HP All-In-One printer-scanner working well in BLFS 7.4. My
> experience...
>
> I installed SANE-1.0.23, XSane-0.998, net-snmp-5.7.2, and hplip-3.13.9 in
> that order. No problems with that. I probably never ran that scanimage -L
> test you mentioned.
>
> I did have to edit the udev rule created when hplip was installed
> (56-hpmud.rules) to adjust the idProduct number, owner, and permisssions. It
> would not print until I figured that out. For example...
>
> ...ATTR{idProduct}=="ac11", OWNER:="boo", GROUP:="lp", MODE:="0664"...
>
> The scanner rule installed by sane doesn't list my HP device, but I left the
> scanner rule as it is. Printing and scanning both work well.
>
> FWIW (maybe nothing),
>
> Arthur

Worth quite a lot actually, Arthur. Thanks.

You didn't mention Foomatic. That makes me optimistic. I want to print
without having to install that and have hplip operate in its PostScript
mode. Did you pass any options during configure to prevent building
hpjis? I'm away from my printer for the holidays and will do more
testing next week after I get home.

Dan