[blfs-support] Circular Dependencies--sane-backends and hplip

Arthur Radley MisterArthurRadley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 06:44:41 PST 2013

Dan McGhee <beesnees <at> grm.net> writes:

> You didn't mention Foomatic. That makes me optimistic. I want to print
> without having to install that and have hplip operate in its PostScript
> mode. Did you pass any options during configure to prevent building
> hpjis?

I have to install foomatic (and pnm2ppa) only in a different BLFS 7.4 system
that uses an old HP 722 printer not supported by hplip. I have been using
that old printer with BLFS for a long time. For the newer all-in-one printer
using hplip, I experimented a long time with various build configurations
(see the hplip instructions). In the end, I chose the default configuration
(for dynamic PPDs). No problems (for me, at least).

Arthur