[blfs-support] Circular Dependencies--sane-backends and hplip

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 27 07:00:53 PST 2013

On 12/27/2013 08:44 AM, Arthur Radley wrote:
> Dan McGhee <beesnees <at> grm.net> writes:
>
>> You didn't mention Foomatic. That makes me optimistic. I want to print
>> without having to install that and have hplip operate in its PostScript
>> mode. Did you pass any options during configure to prevent building
>> hpjis?
>>
> I have to install foomatic (and pnm2ppa) only in a different BLFS 7.4 system
> that uses an old HP 722 printer not supported by hplip. I have been using
> that old printer with BLFS for a long time. For the newer all-in-one printer
> using hplip, I experimented a long time with various build configurations
> (see the hplip instructions). In the end, I chose the default configuration
> (for dynamic PPDs). No problems (for me, at least).
When I tried my initial installation, hplip--and CUPS too I think--tried
to find a ppd file and couldn't. During this process, I discovered a
CUPS problem that I have since corrected. I really don't know what a
"dynamic PPD" is, but I'm hoping that I will be able to discover what I
need to do in short order after I get back to my printer. I was talking
about the "PostScript mode" as a result of something I read at the "open
printing" web site in it's write up of hplip.

Dan