[blfs-support] WebKitGTK-1/Flash

Aleksandar Kuktin akuktin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 04:24:37 PST 2013

>On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:41:26 +0000 (GMT)
>Richard <r_j_humphreys at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Is there some 'trick' or undocumented procedure for building/using
> webkitgtk-1 with flash? Some build flag that I may have missed or
> variable which needs to be set?
>
> I have downloaded the appropriate archive from Adobe - with a readme
> which tells me to put libflashplayer.so in the 'appropriate
> directory' (not very helpful). A quick search around stackoverflow
> tended to hint at directories such
> as: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ /opt/google/chrome/plugins so I have
> copied the library to both locations with no success. I have searched
> as best online and I can find nothing helpful.
>
> So - how do you guys get flash working?
>
> Many thanks, R.

Well, you don't use WebKit with flash. You use flash with a browser.
Assuming you downloaded what I think you downloaded from Adobe's site,
you downloaded a binary browser plugin in a standard format (so that it
can be used by all (for a certain value of "all") browsers).

The way you go about using libflashplayer.so is that you first build a
browser of your liking (again, assuming that browser supports the
above mentioned "standard plugin format"). Then you install the browser
and, depending on how exactly you built it, where you installed it, and
what changes (if any) you made to the code before building, the browser
will look for its plugins in a list of locations. You put
libflashplayer.so in one of those locations so the browser can find it
and you tell the browser to load and use the Flash plugin.

The exact details of the last three steps depend on the browser.

--
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.