[blfs-support] WebKitGTK-1/Flash

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Tue Dec 31 03:39:05 PST 2013

On Monday 30 December 2013 11:41:26 Richard wrote:
> Is there some 'trick' or undocumented procedure for building/using
> webkitgtk-1 with flash? Some build flag that I may have missed or variable
> which needs to be set?
>
> I have downloaded the appropriate archive from Adobe - with a readme which
> tells me to put libflashplayer.so in the 'appropriate directory' (not very
> helpful). A quick search around stackoverflow tended to hint at
> directories such as: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
> /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> so I have copied the library to both locations with no success. I have
> searched as best online and I can find nothing helpful.
>
> So - how do you guys get flash working?
>
> Many thanks, R.

I have  only took a cursory look at this thread so please excuse if I have
missed anything.

I read somewhere that adobe will   discontinue support for   linux   (i.e.
libflashplayer.so for linux ) early in 2014.  If that is so   ( and I would be
grateful of someonw on list could confirm/explain )  is it  worth bothering
with?

Also if the story of  imminent bit-rot for adobe's  libflash-player for linux,
is true could anyone on list enlighten whether  gnash/related is/are
progressing   as replacement  or howto/otherwise html5   replacement  for a
blfs setup?

thanks in advance

sincerely
luxInteg