[blfs-support] Python Modules

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 6 12:33:14 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 21:02 +0100, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 Mar 2013 à 19:55:10 (+0000), Matt Burgess wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 20:37 +0100, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Thanks for these items. Don't you think the book could mention if some module
> > > is compatible with Python 2, 3 or both? For example, I wonder what's about for
> > > Pyrex. I tried python se!up.py install, with python 3, it doesn't work at all.
> > > Is there some solution or is Python 2 mandatory for this module? If 2 is needed,
> > > it means that 2 and 3 must be installed on the system at the same time. I'll
> > > do this, although I don't find out this optimal. But is no choice exists...
> >
> > My recommended way of trying to figure out about Python 3 compatibility
> > would be to go to http://pypi.python.org and type in the name of the
> > module you're interested in to the search box in the top-right corner.
> >
> > >From the results page, go to the package's home page and there should be
> > details there.  For Pyrex, it says the last release was 0.9.4.1 but
> > going to the package's home page, it says the last release was 0.9.9 on
> > 2010-04-12.  I thought that would have pre-dated the release of Python
> > 3, but in fact it doesn't, with Python 3.0.1 being released on
> > 2009-02-13.
> >
> > That all said, it looks like Pyrex is unmaintained, there haven't been
> > any releases since 2010-04-12, and no posts to the mailing list since
> > April 2012.
> >
> > What is it that you were building that requires that package?
>
> BRLTTY depends on pyrex to support speech-dispatcher. But I'll think again of
> installing speech-dispatcher.

Don't give up quite so easily :-) It turns out, after a bit more
googling, that Cython appears to be a Python3 replacement for Pyrex.  It
can require some changes to code that used to require Pyrex, but that's
dependent on the features/syntax used.

So, armed with that info, I ended up at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brltty/4.4-8ubuntu1 which shows
that Ubuntu, at least, are successfully building brltty using Python3.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/raring/brltty/raring/files/head:/.pc/40-cython.patch/ looks promising, but I couldn't find a downloadable patch there.

Hope this helps get you a bit further.

Regards,

Matt.