[blfs-support] Autofs problem on LFS7.2

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Sat Mar 9 08:23:45 PST 2013

	.
> Sorry about the delay, have been offline, but here are the files.  No luck manually creating the relevant dirs.

No probs re 'delay'. Thanks for files. We'll test a few of the more-immediate
things, and if that's no-pasa then we can take a step back and check the wider
picture (e.g. kernel config, modules, /proc). Btw, am not assuming that you
don't already know some or all of the stuff in the following; am erring on the
side of perhaps over-including info.

Let's focus on the sandisk for now - presumably it's a usb-stick?

The immediately-relevant config lines are:
==
auto.master:/media/auto  /etc/auto.misc  --ghost
auto.misc:cd            -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
auto.misc:sandisk               -fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002 :/dev/sdb
auto.misc:memstick      -fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002 :/dev/mmcblk0p1
==

For things to work ok with those two configs, you must have *at least*:
--
* /media/auto is an already-existing directory: automount (IME) won't create it,
  whether automatically or otherwise.

* The usbstick is assigned device '/dev/sdb'  .
  NB and be clear that the assig of '/dev/sdb' to the usbstick, is not done by
  automount.
  Verify device-assig via e.g. /var/log/{messages,debug,syslog} or similar.

* The settings '-fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002' settings in auto.misc,
  should be not at odds with either how the usbstick is formatted, or the
  user-permissions/umask/group-memberships/&c of the user that is trying to use
  the automount facility.
--
There are other files & setup that might need to be adjusted; we can as noted
come to that if necessary - it's normally not complicated.

If the above is all-ok, then you should see the following behaviour:
==
* connect usbstick to usb port of computer.
* the command 'ls /media/auto/sandisk' should show you the contents of the
  usbstick.
  Note that just doing 'ls /media/auto' will likely just show an apparently-empty
  dir: instead, you need to specify the full '/media/auto/sandisk' path.
==

If that does not work, then try the following (I know you've likely done a lot
of variations):
**NB** to adjust pathnames (in a consistent manner) in the following, if the
objects already exist.
----
* work directly as root-user.
* use a new test area for automounting to:
  if [ ! -e /testautomount ] ; then
    install -o root -g root -m 0755 -d /testautomount ;
  fi;
* have only the following in /etc/auto.master :
    /testautomount	/etc/auto.testautomount
* create a new test automount-map:
  if [ ! -e /etc/auto.testautomount ] ; then
    install -o root -g root -m 0644 /dev/null /etc/auto.testautomount ;
  fi;
* have only the following in /etc/auto.testautomount :
    sandisk	-fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002	:/dev/sdb
  Just to double-check: if you mount /dev/sdb manually using those mount-opts,
  then it goes all-ok?
----

If that still does not work, then we can get some further info on your working
environment wrt autofs.

rgds,
akh