[blfs-support] Compilation presets for Xorg

Niels Terp nielsterp at comhem.se
Tue Mar 12 06:21:28 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have started on Xorg - but even with the very first packet I run into
trouble:

The book suggest to create a file /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh with the following
command:

cat > /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh << "EOF" &&
XORG_PREFIX="<PREFIX>"
XORG_CONFIG="--prefix=$XORG_PREFIX \
             --sysconfdir=/etc \
             --localstatedir=/var \
             --disable-static"
export XORG_PREFIX XORG_CONFIG
EOF
chmod 644 /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh

First of all, this command does NOT create a file - it does not even execute
the chmod command on the last line. I assume that the "&&" after "EOF" is a
typo ?

When I remove the &&, the file is created, and chmod'ed. But after a restart
I still don't have the two variables defined, neither in root's or
unpriviledged users environment. And much to my surprise, even after a
munual "sh /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh" the variables STILL don't contain
anything.

And finaly, when I try to type the configuration command by hand, it
complains about the --disable-static option (and ./configure --help says
that the option doesn't exist).

Can anybody help with this, please ?

Niels