[blfs-support] Compilation presets for Xorg

Carl Thorn thorncs at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 07:13:41 PDT 2013

________________________________
From: Niels Terp <nielsterp at comhem.se>
To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Tue, March 12, 2013 8:22:28 AM
Subject: [blfs-support] Compilation presets for Xorg

>Hi,

>I have started on Xorg - but even with the very first packet I run into
>trouble:
>The book suggest to create a file /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh with the following
>command:

>cat > /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh << "EOF" &&
>XORG_PREFIX="<PREFIX>"
>XORG_CONFIG="--prefix=$XORG_PREFIX \
>             --sysconfdir=/etc \
>             --localstatedir=/var \
 >            --disable-static"
>export XORG_PREFIX XORG_CONFIG
>EOF
>chmod 644 /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh

>First of all, this command does NOT create a file - it does not even execute
>the chmod command on the last line. I assume that the "&&" after "EOF" is a
>typo ?
No this is not a typo it is an instruction. You may want to review UNIX
commands.
Read the text before copying and pasting the commands. You are supposed to
decide where you want to install XORG before running the commands. "<PREFIX>"
should be the location where you want to install XORG, either in "/usr" or "
/opt"

>And finaly, when I try to type the configuration command by hand, it
>complains about the --disable-static option (and ./configure --help says
>that the option doesn't exist).

You are not installing a package at this point so there is no ./configure. You
are only setting up the environment for the XORG build. You may want to read the
text rather than just copying and pasting everything.