[blfs-support] Usb error on boot/ or insert

spiky martynvidler at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 15:24:30 PDT 2013

On 12/03/13 00:48, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 09:03:55PM +0000, spiky wrote:

>>> I don't recognize the error you are seeing.  Can you explain it better?
>>>     Also, was it working with earlier kernels?  If so, get a copy of the
>>> config for the working kernel, copy it to the 3.8.2 source directory as
>>> .config and run 'make oldconfig'.  That will ask questions, but you can
>>> generally take the defaults.  Build and test that kernel.
>>>
>>>      -- Bruce
>>>
>> This is the 1st time I have built LFS on this machine. 3.8.2 was the
>> only kernel I have used here.
>>
>> Google shows there was/ is a problem, I was hoping some one might have
>> come across it before.
>   Google finds some references to what appear to be two different
> problems with ehci in 3.8.  Those might be fixed in 3.8.2, but I'm
> not sure and in any case I'm not convinced they are exactly the same
> as your problem (one at least seems to be due to not putting all the
> modules in an initrd).
>
>   What I do notice is that ehci has been split into ehci-hcd,
> ehci-pci, ehci-platform in 3.8.  OTOH, my own .config for 3.8.2 only
> appears to know about _HCD and _PCI so that might very well be a red
> herring.
>
>   I'm hoping that you identified the correct usb modules from what
> the host distro is loading ?
>
>   I *really* think you will need to build an older kernel as Bruce
> suggested, to get to the bottom of this.  If it's an unfixed
> problem (which might be specific to your hardware) you might even
> need to use git bisect to find out what broke it.  3.7.10 is already
> EOL'd according to www.kernel.org, so I would be inclined to try
> starting from 3.7 itself - just to get a kernel which boots ok (it's
> possible that 3.7.10 will also be broken for your hardware, because
> a change in 3.8 has been backported).
>
>   Once you have 3.7 booting ok, try 'make oldconfig' for 3.8.2. You
> can save your current 3.8.2 .config before that, and then diff them
> to see if anything in the usb area changed.  If nothing _did_ change,
> it looks like you are in for fun and games to fix it.  Hopefully,
> something did change and you will now get a usable kernel.  Good
> luck!
>
> ĸen
Ok I have replaced files in /rcS.d/ built kernel 3.7.10 and it all works
ok as expected. I then ran make oldconfig on 3.8.2 kernel I get the
error back, I then just added .config to 3.8.2 kernel and ran menuconfig
"silentconfig" then make and I end up with the errors. So the error
looks like a  kernel problem,