[blfs-support] Usb error on boot/ or insert

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 12 15:54:55 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 17:40 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> spiky wrote:
>
> > Ok I have replaced files in /rcS.d/ built kernel 3.7.10 and it all works
> > ok as expected. I then ran make oldconfig on 3.8.2 kernel I get the
> > error back, I then just added .config to 3.8.2 kernel and ran menuconfig
> > "silentconfig" then make and I end up with the errors. So the error
> > looks like a  kernel problem,
>
> It appears so.  Perhaps, if you have the interest, you might want to
> compare the config files to see if you can spot where the problem is.
>
> You might want to try udev-198 also, but I haven't done the lfs Makefile
> for that yet.

I've got a rough-and-ready version of udev-lfs-198-1.tar.bz2 which will
be tested tomorrow.  It's at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~matthew/udev-lfs-198-1.tar.bz2 . As
Linux-3.7.10 works though, and Linux-3.8.2 breaks, both with the same
version of Udev, this looks to me like a kernel regression.

Spiky, you may want to report it this to the Linux Kernel Mailing
List[0] or the Linux USB Mailing list, but if something similar hasn't
been reported and/or fixed yet, they may well ask you to do a 'git
bisect' to try to track down the point at which things broke.  This may
or may not be 'fun' for you, dependent on your definition of that
word :-)

Regards,

Matt.

[0] http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-kernel