[blfs-support] line breaks in terminal

Sven Bartscher svenbartscher at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 14 10:47:59 PDT 2013

hey guys!
I finished the lfs 7.2 book a few months ago. I have the problem that
bash desn't auto-break the line if i reach the end of the screen while
typing. So i does a carriage return an overwrites my prompt. Sometimes i
get strange constructs like that:

e example18:32:04# example example example example example example exampl
       cursor^              ^ Begin of typed text

If i then return to the start of the line with pos1. More strange things
happen. I will not copy them in this mail, because that would produce a
big mess. I trie to describe it: The cursor goes one line up supposing
there is the start of the line, because the start of the line should be
moved up by the auto line break. But the auto-line break was never
happened. But all this doesn't infect the command itself. So if i typed
everything correct i can run the command. I only doesn't see the
linebreaks. Can anyone help me? I think it could be a error in the
/etc/inputrc. So i add it here:
# Begin /etc/inputrc
set horizontal-scroll-mode Off

set meta-flag On