[blfs-support] line breaks in terminal

Niels Terp nielsterp at comhem.se
Thu Mar 14 11:31:57 PDT 2013

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: blfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:blfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org] På vegne af Sven
Bartscher
Sendt: 14. marts 2013 18:48
Til: blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
Emne: [blfs-support] line breaks in terminal

hey guys!
I finished the lfs 7.2 book a few months ago. I have the problem that bash
desn't auto-break the line if i reach the end of the screen while typing. So
i does a carriage return an overwrites my prompt. Sometimes i get strange
constructs like that:

e example18:32:04# example example example example example example exampl
       cursor^              ^ Begin of typed text

If i then return to the start of the line with pos1. More strange things
happen. I will not copy them in this mail, because that would produce a big
mess. I trie to describe it: The cursor goes one line up supposing there is
the start of the line, because the start of the line should be moved up by
the auto line break. But the auto-line break was never happened. But all
this doesn't infect the command itself. So if i typed everything correct i
can run the command. I only doesn't see the linebreaks. Can anyone help me?
I think it could be a error in the /etc/inputrc. So i add it here:
# Begin /etc/inputrc
set horizontal-scroll-mode Off

set meta-flag On
set input-meta On