[blfs-support] line breaks in terminal

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 15 05:11:26 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:47:59PM +0100, Sven Bartscher wrote:
> hey guys!
> I finished the lfs 7.2 book a few months ago. I have the problem that
> bash desn't auto-break the line if i reach the end of the screen while
> typing. So i does a carriage return an overwrites my prompt. Sometimes i
> get strange constructs like that:
>
> e example18:32:04# example example example example example example exampl
>        cursor^              ^ Begin of typed text

 You said this is in the linux console itself.  I use the slightly
longer version of inputrc in chapter 7 of the book, but you only
seem to be missing the entries for xterm and konsole, and I don't
notice any errors in your values.

 Are you, perhaps, still using something linked to /tools ?

 If not, I see that in both .bashrc and .bash_profile I have lines to
export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc if that files exists (my own setup is
carried forward from whatever worked when I first started using
BLFS).  In the current BLFS book that is now handled in
/etc/profile.d/readline.sh - see Chapter 3,
"The Bash Shell Startup Files".

ĸen