[blfs-support] mailx

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Fri Mar 15 12:05:02 PDT 2013

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 19:12:24 +0100
> From: Sven Bartscher <svenbartscher at yahoo.de>
> To: BLFS support <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: [blfs-support] mailx
>
> Hey guys!
> A few days ago i installed mailx (or nail). I configured so i can send
> mails via my yahoo.de mail-adress. But i can't read my mails. Ever if i
> start mailx i get this message:
> "imaps://svenbartscher@imap.mail.yahoo.com:993": 22 messages (few
> minutes ago there was unread mail but now i reead it another way, but it
> didn't work too.)
> No mail for sven
> But then it ends i can't read the mails or can do anything.
> Here my ~/.mailrc:
> set smtp=smtps://smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465
> set from=svenbartscher at yahoo.de
> set smtp-auth=login
> set smtp-auth-user=svenbartscher at yahoo.de
> folder imaps://svenbartscher@imap.mail.yahoo.com:993
> is this supposed to happen? Did i something wrong? How can i fix this?
> with hopefull regards
> Sven
> --

(I only use mailx with a local sendmail - it's been years since have used it for
pop/imap; so the following is maybe a bit broad-brushed.) Some pointers:
--
* have you got a pop-client configured somewhere (in mailx or thunderbird or
  some other prog) that has downloaded the messages and removed them from the

* switch on verbosity in .mailrc: 'set verbose'; then retry - do you see
  anything in the messages that indicates more clearly what's wrong?
  (You say that outgoing messages are OK: so don't really need to do
  'set sendwait').

* does it ask you for a password? If not, where/when do you specify a password?
  **Don't, of course, post your password to this list.**

* does yahoo imap server need some namespace workarounds: see the discussion
  concerning "imaps://mylogin@imap.myisp.example/INBOX." in the distrib .mailrc
  file.

* Have you got 'disconnected' enabled? If so, you might want to comment it back
  out, at least for debugging.

* Is the above your _entire_ ~/.mailrc? Is there a ~/.nailrc also?
  If posting, redact passwords & any other sensitive info.

* For the yahoo imaps server, you might need to use a specific combination of
  some of the 'imap-use-starttls*', 'imap-*', 'set smtp-use-starttls', and
  'smtp-*', vars: these are all well-documented in the default .mailrc  .
  Switching on verbosity, per above, should help determine which, and what forms,
  of these vars you'll need.
--

hth,

akh