[blfs-support] kernel panic when booting with connected external disk

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Sun Mar 17 08:34:11 PDT 2013

On Wednesday 13 March 2013 22:34:59 you wrote:

> > When an external disk is connected from the very beginning (USB),
> > the boot process of the LFS system stops with a kernel panic:

First of all, thank you very much for the very extensive answer and all the
links. We have been working on them, so it took a little of time for us to
report.

In order to make this mail small, we put all the answers and additional
informations in a file to be downloaded.

Some additional infos:

1.) BLFS is still not starting with connected external disk

2.) fdisk -l ( see file ) delivers a little comment which I cannot judge:
"Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary"

2.) Rootdelay of, let me say, 50 in the grub command, as suggested by Kenno
Han,does not change the behaviour. But: if the Toshiba disk is connected
_during_ the delay time, the boot process finish succesfull.

We would not like to go to heavy arms like gptfdisk at this moment, as we are
afraid to kill the system. But we think, it is an interesting issue.

Again, thank you very much.

Edgar

Informations, answers etc.:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8734485/Kernel_Panic