[blfs-support] kernel panic when booting with connected external disk

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 18 09:39:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:48:27AM -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 00:37:25 -0400
> Michael Shell <list1 at michaelshell.org> wrote:
>
> > What partition is Ubuntu on, primary sda1 ?
>
> I see it now: sda2, primary. I wonder if the reordering problem
> only affects sda4, extended, and higher. That would explain
> why Ubuntu works.
>

>   Mike

 I guess the difference is that ubuntu uses an initrd or initramfs,
so its initial rootfs is not the ubuntu disk filesystem, and it can
load enough of userspace to mount by UUID.

 For everything *except* the rootfs, mounting by label should
probably solve any issues with drives "moving".  But for the rootfs
itself, mounting by UUID from an initrd or initramfs seems the only
reliable way to go.  That's supposition, I've never tried to use
these and can't remember which of initrd, intramfs is current.  I
know it's in the BLFS book, but I don't have that in front of me at
the moment.

 I wouldn't attempt to *boot* an LFS system with any sort of external
disk connected (hard disk, stick, whatever) because I think the order
in which things show up will be random.  Probably consistent for one
kernel/config, but likely to change for a different kernel or a
different config.

ĸen