[blfs-support] Missing cursor in text (console) mode

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:22:38 PDT 2013

Hello,

(B)LFS i686-pc-linux-gnu
kernel 3.8.2 (can be anything)
Two SSD Intel drives, identical system/software-wise (one is a "clone" of
the other):  the 120G "320" and "520" models, respectively.

PROBLEM
After boot-up I have the console cursor on one drive (520) and I don't
on the other (320).
Mind boggling.

DETAILS
1. The "system" behavior is otherwise absolutely the same no matter which
drive I boot off of (like I said, the drives are software, size, partitioning,
etc., identical).

2. One drive (520) is nominally FASTER (more recent model) than the other.
NOTE:  This leads to my suspicion as to the cause;  some timing race somewhere
in the innards of the "bad" drive (320).

3. On boot-up my system enters runlevel 3  ("id:3:initdefault:").

4. A relevant (important, I think) excerpt from my console display
   during boot-up:

 INIT: version 2.86 booting

                        Welcome to Linux From Scratch
                   Press 'I' to enter interactive startup

 tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3400.023 MHz
 Switching to clocksource tsc
 AT THIS POINT, a 5 sec. pause, based on my site "itime" for "Press 'I' to ..."
   *  Mounting virtual file systems: /run /proc /sys /dev    [  OK  ]

5.
THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE between the behavior of the two drives:
 - 520:  on the console display line identified as "AT THIS POINT" above,
  the cursor comes up (blinking).  I.e., the cursor is already _active_!
 - 320:  on the same console display line identified as "AT THIS POINT" above,
  there is no cursor (an will never show up, as the subject of this post
  discusses and puzzles)