[blfs-support] Missing cursor in text (console) mode

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:17:12 PDT 2013

alex lupu wrote:
> Hi Bruce:
>
>> Does it happen if you are not using an interactive boot
>   (IPROMPT comments out)?
>
> It still happens (i.e. cursor does not show up on 320) if IPROMPT="no".
>
>> Are you using a framebuffer?
>
> I do have
>   Device Drivers > Graphics support > Support for frame buffer devices >
>   <M>   Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
> I do not have the required "userspace helper application called 'v86d'"
> so this "support" is likely not active.
>
> I don't have "VESA VGA graphics support" enabled.

What I have is

CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y

If they are not set, then /dev/fb0 does not show up.  What happens for
me is that the kernel dialog starts and at about 0.5 seconds shifts into
frambuffer mode.  I don't know how to prevent it if those options are
set, but you can control it by putting something like video=1366x768 on
the kernel command line (that's my monitor resolution).

Now I'm not sure if the above are the only kernel issues.  The
configuration item

CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL=y
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID is not set
# CONFIG_FB_DDC is not set
CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y

has /dev/fb0 but the one that has

# CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT is not set

does not have /dev/fb0.

In any case, I'd suggest trying to disable the switch to graphical mode
during boot (if it's not already disabled) and see if that makes a
difference.

   -- Bruce