[blfs-support] Mouse and Keyboard don't work with Xorg :-(

James Tyrer jrt256 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:27:21 PDT 2013

Note that this is a temporary account and I am temporary running on a
Fedora 15 CD till I get my new Linux from scratch system to work.  I
need help.

X.Org X Server 1.14.0

I think that I followed the instruction and this is not the first time
I have built the X11 server.  I started building XFree86.  Everyting
appeared to go OK but when I started it for the first time with
"startx" it opened with TWM and looked OK but the mouse and the
keyboard didn't work.  A google search reveals that others have the
same problem but I didn't really see the solution to the problem.

X is installed with PREFIX=/usr/X11R7  Which is where I installed it
last time although on a different disk.

I checked the X log.  The module path appears correct:

[ 35004.515] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules"

The configure file for the mouse: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/mouse-0.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "evdev"
  	Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    	Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    	Option      "Buttons" "5"
    	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    	Option      "Name"  "Logitech M100"
EndSection

looks OK, but the X log reports:

[ 35012.524] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB
Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[ 35012.524] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.

and the mouse and the keyboard simply do not work with X although they
work fine in text mode.

---

JRT