[blfs-support] Mouse and Keyboard don't work with Xorg :-(

James Tyrer jrt256 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 01:56:45 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Note that this is a temporary account and I am temporary running on a
>> Fedora 15 CD till I get my new Linux from scratch system to work.  I
>> need help.
>>
>> X.Org X Server 1.14.0
>>
>> I think that I followed the instruction and this is not the first time
>> I have built the X11 server.  I started building XFree86.  Everyting
>> appeared to go OK but when I started it for the first time with
>> "startx" it opened with TWM and looked OK but the mouse and the
>> keyboard didn't work.  A google search reveals that others have the
>> same problem but I didn't really see the solution to the problem.
>>
>> X is installed with PREFIX=/usr/X11R7  Which is where I installed it
>> last time although on a different disk.
>>
>> I checked the X log.  The module path appears correct:
>>
>> [ 35004.515] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules"
>>
>> The configure file for the mouse: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/mouse-0.conf:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>       Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>       Driver      "evdev"
>>       Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>       Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>       Option      "Buttons" "5"
>>       Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>       Option      "Name"  "Logitech M100"
>> EndSection
>>
>> looks OK, but the X log reports:
>>
>> [ 35012.524] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB
>> Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
>> [ 35012.524] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
>>
>> and the mouse and the keyboard simply do not work with X although they
>> work fine in text mode.
>
> I suggest removing the config file and try the defaults.  Make sure that
> you built the evdev driver.  It should be in
> /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input.

Well, Bruce, since I now have my new NEC flat screen hooked up as well
as yet another mouse to be destroyed by the cats. I removed the
xorg.conf files.  Might still need some configuration for my keyboard
as I have an original (but late model) IBM 101 key click keyboard
(buckling spring technology) and the result was that ...

Well, the result was exactly the same.  The last two lines of the X
log were the same and neither the mouse or the keyboard worked.