[blfs-support] Mouse and Keyboard don't work with Xorg :-(

James Tyrer jrt256 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 06:13:43 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM, James Tyrer <jrt256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that this is a temporary account and I am temporary running on a
> Fedora 15 CD till I get my new Linux from scratch system to work.  I
> need help.
>
> X.Org X Server 1.14.0
>
> I think that I followed the instruction and this is not the first time
> I have built the X11 server.  I started building XFree86.  Everyting
> appeared to go OK but when I started it for the first time with
> "startx" it opened with TWM and looked OK but the mouse and the
> keyboard didn't work.  A google search reveals that others have the
> same problem but I didn't really see the solution to the problem.
>
> X is installed with PREFIX=/usr/X11R7  Which is where I installed it
> last time although on a different disk.
>
> I checked the X log.  The module path appears correct:
>
> [ 35004.515] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules"
>
> The configure file for the mouse: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/mouse-0.conf:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "evdev"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "Buttons" "5"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Name"  "Logitech M100"
> EndSection
>
> looks OK, but the X log reports:
>
> [ 35012.524] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB
> Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
> [ 35012.524] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
>
> and the mouse and the keyboard simply do not work with X although they
> work fine in text mode.

Problem resolved.  I found a archived email on line that pointed out
that there is also a Linux Kernel EvDev Driver.  It appears that I was
missing it.  Now that I find this, it was the only possible and the
obvious answer since I did everything the same and it didn't work.
What I didn't do was compile a new driver into the Kernel.  Perhaps it
would be worth mentioning in the BLFS book that it is needed.