[blfs-support] x11vnc on blfs?

Thomas de Roo thomas at de-roo.org
Tue Mar 19 06:51:13 PDT 2013

On 03/18/13 17:37, Pierre M.R. wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Pierre M.R. wrote:
>>
>>> I've tested TightVNC-1.3.10. It works. I must say I don't find any use
>>> of it on linux as everything can be done from an ssh console (except
>>> maybe slpashing animatedlogos).
>> It can be useful in a collaborative environment where 2 or more people
>> connect to the same vnc server instance.  Then a simple phone connection
>> between viewers looks at exactly the same screen and even allows
>> different users to use the mouse/keyboard.
>>
>> It can be very effective in a team environment.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_programming
>>
>>      -- Bruce
>>

> For those interested in testing VNC, TightVNC-1.3.10 is available here:
> http://www.tightvnc.com/download/1.3.10/tightvnc-1.3.10_unixsrc.tar.bz2
> It requires imake, makedepend, xorg-cf-files.
> It provides Xvnc, vncserver (Xvnc wrapper) and vncviewer.
>
> Pierre
To go back to the original question:
I use x11vnc for some time. Just:
configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install
Then I added this line to my ~/.initrc:
x11vnc -display :0 -loop -shared -usepw -xkb &
Start it once with -storepasswd to create the ~/.vnc/passwd file. I also
added a startupscript with this line:
/bin/su - thomas --command "startx &"
and made a link to it in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d. Last thing I had to do was
enabling port-forwarding for port 5900 on my NATting router. I don't use
a firewall on the PC itself, if you do, you have to open port 5900 of
course. Now I have access to my desktop from anywhere on the Internet.

Groet,
Thomas