[blfs-support] Mouse and Keyboard don't work with Xorg :-(

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Tue Mar 19 07:15:51 PDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 02:13 PM, James Tyrer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM, James Tyrer <jrt256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that this is a temporary account and I am temporary running on a
>> Fedora 15 CD till I get my new Linux from scratch system to work.  I
>> need help.
>>
>> X.Org X Server 1.14.0
>>
>> I think that I followed the instruction and this is not the first time
>> I have built the X11 server.  I started building XFree86.  Everyting
>> appeared to go OK but when I started it for the first time with
>> "startx" it opened with TWM and looked OK but the mouse and the
>> keyboard didn't work.  A google search reveals that others have the
>> same problem but I didn't really see the solution to the problem.
>>
>> X is installed with PREFIX=/usr/X11R7  Which is where I installed it
>> last time although on a different disk.
>>
>> I checked the X log.  The module path appears correct:
>>
>> [ 35004.515] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules"
>>
>> The configure file for the mouse: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/mouse-0.conf:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>          Driver      "evdev"
>>          Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>          Option      "Buttons" "5"
>>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>          Option      "Name"  "Logitech M100"
>> EndSection
>>
>> looks OK, but the X log reports:
>>
>> [ 35012.524] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB
>> Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
>> [ 35012.524] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
>>
>> and the mouse and the keyboard simply do not work with X although they
>> work fine in text mode.
>>
> Problem resolved.  I found a archived email on line that pointed out
> that there is also a Linux Kernel EvDev Driver.  It appears that I was
> missing it.  Now that I find this, it was the only possible and the
> obvious answer since I did everything the same and it didn't work.
> What I didn't do was compile a new driver into the Kernel.  Perhaps it
> would be worth mentioning in the BLFS book that it is needed.

That's already in the book.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x7driver.html#xorg-evdev-driver

Enable the following options in the kernel configuration and recompile
the kernel if necessary:

Device Drivers  --->
   Input Device Support --->
     Event interface: Y or M

Which is actually "evdev.ko" if built as module.