[blfs-support] Mouse and Keyboard don't work with Xorg :-(

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Tue Mar 19 07:18:26 PDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 10:43 AM, Pierre M.R. wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:

>>> I suggest removing the config file and try the defaults.  Make sure that
>>> you built the evdev driver.  It should be in
>>> /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input.
>>>
>> Well, Bruce, since I now have my new NEC flat screen hooked up as well
>> as yet another mouse to be destroyed by the cats. I removed the
>> xorg.conf files.  Might still need some configuration for my keyboard
>> as I have an original (but late model) IBM 101 key click keyboard
>> (buckling spring technology) and the result was that ...
>>
>> Well, the result was exactly the same.  The last two lines of the X
>> log were the same and neither the mouse or the keyboard worked.
> xf86-input-evdev provides default config files installed in
> /usr/X11R7/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.
> The mouse-0.conf should also be removed.
> To customize the keyboard or mouse cp the default evdev config file
> 10-evdev.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and make your changes there, for
> instance:
>    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
>
> Pierre

Just a tip - instead of using xorg configuration files, you can use udev
rule for setting keyboard rules in Xorg.

cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/64-xorg-xkb.rules << "EOF"
ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="xorg_xkb_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="input", GOTO="xorg_xkb_end"
KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="xorg_xkb_end"

# import keyboard layout from /etc/default/keyboard
ENV{ID_INPUT_KEY}=="?*", IMPORT{file}="/etc/default/keyboard"

LABEL="xorg_xkb_end
EOF

cat > /etc/default/keyboard << "EOF"
# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
# values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
# in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="ba"
XKBVARIANT=""