[blfs-support] Unable to load certain websites

Alexander Spitzer aes368 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 19 10:54:07 PDT 2013

Hello all,

Recently, I've been having trouble loading certain websites on an LFS
system. Everything works great except for certain websites most notably
en.wikipedia.org. Any wikipedia page takes FOREVER to load (if at all).
I've ruled out my local router settings because Google Chrome on Windows on
the same computer loads Wikipedia just fine. I've also ruled out the
browser (Midori) because a python urllib request also takes forever. Other
websites affected are yahoo.com and facebook.com. Accessing these sites
through a proxy works fine so I'm guessing it has something to do with the
local DNS configuration. Pinging the websites from a different computer
yields the same IP address so DNS appears to be working properly (pinging
shows no signs of problems either). Can this be related to the DHCPCD
configuration on the system? I added nohook resolv.conf to the dhcpcd.conf
file and tried manually setting the nameserver but the problem is still
there. My network knowledge is limited so I'm at a loss as to how to
proceed from here. The wierd thing is that most of the time the page does
eventually load, it just takes an absurdly long time. Any help or insight
into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex