[blfs-support] Unable to load certain websites

Alexander Spitzer aes368 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 19 11:35:14 PDT 2013

Adding wikipedia's IP (208.80.154.225) to /etc/hosts definitely helps. It
seems to get farther along in loading. However, nothing is actually
displayed in the browser. The problems get stranger and stranger. Either
something is wrong with the browser or there is another server from which
data is needed with a different IP. Viewing the source of the blank page
gives me a lot of html but I can't tell if it's everything or not.

Why would simply giving the ip address of the domain name
en.wikipedia.orghelp at all when ping instantly discovers that ip
whether that line is in
/etc/hosts/ or not? Maybe the DNS servers are used incorrectly somewhere.
Using google's DNS servers doesn't appear to change anything. Also, what
could cause this problem to occur for a few specific websites? How is
wikipedia different from google mail or every other website that loads with
no problem?