[blfs-support] Unable to load certain websites

Nicholas McCurdy mindwarpstudios at aim.com
Tue Mar 19 11:56:45 PDT 2013

Are you using a 64Bit or 32bit kernel?

And Apologies for the top post (my mobile Email blows).

Nicholas McCurdy
mindwarpstudios at aim.com

Adding wikipedia's IP (208.80.154.225) to /etc/hosts definitely helps. It seems to get farther along in loading. However, nothing is actually displayed in the browser. The problems get stranger and stranger. Either something is wrong with the browser or there is another server from which data is needed with a different IP. Viewing the source of the blank page gives me a lot of html but I can't tell if it's everything or not.Why would simply giving the ip address of the domain name en.wikipedia.org help at all when ping instantly discovers that ip whether that line is in /etc/hosts/ or not? Maybe the DNS servers are used incorrectly somewhere. Using google's DNS servers doesn't appear to change anything. Also, what could cause this problem to occur for a few specific websites? How is wikipedia different from google mail or every other website that loads with no problem?On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:Alexander Spitzer wrote:> Hello all,>> Recently, I've been having trouble loading certain websites on an LFS> system. Everything works great except for certain websites most notably> en.wikipedia.org. Any wikipedia page takes FOREVER to load (if at all).> I've ruled out my local router settings because Google Chrome on Windows on> the same computer loads Wikipedia just fine. I've also ruled out the> browser (Midori) because a python urllib request also takes forever. Other> websites affected are yahoo.com and facebook.com. Accessing these sites> through a proxy works fine so I'm guessing it has something to do with the> local DNS configuration. Pinging the websites from a different computer> yields the same IP address so DNS appears to be working properly (pinging> shows no signs of problems either). Can this be related to the DHCPCD> configuration on the system? I added nohook resolv.conf to the dhcpcd.conf> file and tried manually setting the nameserver but the problem is still> there. My network knowledge is limited so I'm at a loss as to how to> proceed from here. The wierd thing is that most of the time the page does> eventually load, it just takes an absurdly long time. Any help or insight> into the problem would be greatly appreciated.It does sound like a DNS issue. ?Try changing /etc/resolv.conf to:nameserver 8.8.4.4nameserver 8.8.8.8Those are Google public nameservers. ?The dhcp client may overwrite thatso it may not be a permanent fix if it is indeed the problem.You can also try putting known IP addresses in /etc/hosts.-- Bruce--http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-supportFAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.htmlUnsubscribe: See the above information page--http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-supportFAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.htmlUnsubscribe: See the above information page