[blfs-support] Unable to load certain websites

Nicholas McCurdy mindwarpstudios at aim.com
Tue Mar 19 15:13:55 PDT 2013

Alexander,

I asked about your kernel because of the REMOTE posibilty that it's related to a bug I filed (without resolution) on ubuntu's launchpad tracker regarding 64bit kernels over a year ago...  Given the many milestones between then and now, I wouldn't assume that the kernel is the issue, but your particular configuration could replicate the cause that I couldn't find.

>From my offline discussions (not in the tracker and long-since deleted from my Email), the devs seemed to be leaning towards a problem with caching TCP/UDP addresses that had already been sourced from DNS.

Does your system lag when going to an address that you have never gone to before?  Does disabling IPv6 speed things up?

If nothing else that this list suggests helps you out, perhaps there's a solution in this direction.

Take a gander at my old bug report:
I posted a checklist of the various attempted solutions I found in my searches prior to filing...
Also, take a little look at my posted system profile, and see if there's something similar to your setup.

Also at the possibly related one I found at the same time:
There's more information on the various configurations that also suffered from this condition.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.  I ended up wiping the problematic installation just before the devs got back to me asking for my assistance with alternate kernels...  oops.
Regardless of where it comes from, I'd love to know your solution.

Nicholas McCurdy
mindwarpstudios at aim.com