[blfs-support] Unable to load certain websites

Alexander Spitzer aes368 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 19 20:45:41 PDT 2013

Bruce, I followed Google's guide on setting up to use their public DNS
servers and nothing changes. In fact I don't think there is anything wrong
with the original DNS servers I was using because using the command "dig"
for all the DNS servers I've used shows no signs of error, all names all
resolved as expected. There must be something wrong with the way the DNS
servers are used by the system. And something that is wrong only for
SPECIFIC websites, it is very strange. I have very limited knowledge as to
how it all works. Underneath it all, does the kernel actually send the
request to the DNS server? If so, it probably is something kernel related.

> From my offline discussions (not in the tracker and long-since deleted
> from my Email), the devs seemed to be leaning towards a problem with
> caching TCP/UDP addresses that had already been sourced from DNS.
> Does your system lag when going to an address that you have never gone to
> before?  Does disabling IPv6 speed things up?
> If nothing else that this list suggests helps you out, perhaps there's a
> solution in this direction.
> Take a gander at my old bug report:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/824818
> I posted a checklist of the various attempted solutions I found in my
> searches prior to filing...
> Also, take a little look at my posted system profile, and see if there's
> something similar to your setup.
> Also at the possibly related one I found at the same time:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/761901
> There's more information on the various configurations that also suffered
> from this condition.
> I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.  I ended up wiping the problematic
> installation just before the devs got back to me asking for my assistance
> with alternate kernels...  oops.
> Regardless of where it comes from, I'd love to know your solution.

Thank you for those resources. I don't think it is any slower when visiting
new pages. The majority of pages load reasonably fast but some just seem to
hang for a good 5-10 minutes before loading. I will definitely try
disabling IPv6 and the other attempted solutions listed and will let you

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/attachments/20130319/371aca80/attachment.html>

More information about the blfs-support mailing list