[blfs-support] kernel panic when booting with connected external disk

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Wed Mar 20 04:29:49 PDT 2013

On Monday 18 March 2013 00:37:25 Michael Shell wrote:

> Anyway, before you do anything, what we want to see what name the
> Toshiba and sda partitions are given when the Toshiba drive is
> already connected during boot.
>
> However, there is a big problem with getting that crucial information
> isn't there? Namely, that you can't just get it from a dmesg because
> the system will fail to boot.

We partially solve this problem taking pictures of the boot messages: we put a
rootdelay= 50.
Kernel-1.jpg shows the boot process before the delay, Kernel-2.jpg shows the
process after delay, until panic. ( LFS partition, external disk connected )

You may find also the partition tables for sda and for the external disk sdb
as well as the dmesg results in the included files

Regards,
Edgar

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8734485/Kernel_Panic_2/dmesg-sda-sdb-18032013
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8734485/Kernel_Panic_2/Gparted-sda.png