[blfs-support] moving lfs

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Wed Mar 20 12:13:33 PDT 2013

	.

> Please don't top post. I am for tar approach, but in that case no need
> for "dd" ... If you use "dd" you'll get a copy of your partition which
> will be the same size as your partition - not cool if you want to resize
> it. Just extract the tarball on the new partition - worked for me always.

The reason I didn't mention tar is that on various systems and versions, it
can (at least historically) be a bit fiddly to preserve some
permissions/ownerships/timestamps - depends on how much you're bothered about
that - and sometimes chokes on 'special' files: hence the use instead of the
likes of cpio; perhaps the newer tars are better in this respect.

What you note about dd is not necessarily so: once you've got the image,
you're not thereby constrained to have your new partition the same size as the
image; you can for example write dd to an image file and then mount that before
the copy-back to new partition, or use dd params to write however much you
want, or use a filesys-resizer on (a copy of) the image before the write-back,
and so on - lots of 'cool' stuff  ;)   .

rgds,
akh