[blfs-support] bootloader -- Re: moving lfs

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Wed Mar 20 13:04:24 PDT 2013

	.
> > > i want to move my lfs-system on a logical partition because i have
> > > already four primary partitions on my drive and can't create any new but
> > > want a few more. So to do that i would:
> > > copy (with rsync) all the files from the lfs partition on another
> > > temporary partition (on another drive)
> > > delete the old partition and create the new logical partitions
> > > copy everything from the temporary partition back on the logical one
> > > edit /etc/fstab (obviously)
> > > i don't have to create a initramfs because i already have one.
> > >
> > > I there something i forgot? Something i don't need to do? Something i
> > > have to take care about? I'm really scared about something goes wrong,
> > > or something goes lost and all my work on my lfs-system is gone. How can
> > > i make sure that everything is copied right? Can i just be sure that
> > > rsync does everything right? Is there something else i should be
> > > scared/afraid of?
> > > with hopefull (and scared) regards
> > > Sven

	.
	.

You might also need to adjust the bootloader config.

If e.g. your present lfs is on /dev/sda4, then after you create an extended
partition and then logical partitions inside it, the new extended partition
will likely be /dev/sda4, your first logical partition /dev/sda5, and so on.

If using lilo then almost certainly yes you'd need to adjust config and re-run
lilo after the copy-back.

I don't use the new grub stuff, so not 100% sure: but you might need to adjust
the partition spec in grub config?

If using windows or other bootloader, then again, I'd expect you'll need to
adjust to refer to the new partition being /dev/sda5  .

It can be useful to create 'fall-back' entries in the boot-menu; but ymmv.

rgds,
akh