[blfs-support] moving lfs

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Wed Mar 20 13:14:45 PDT 2013

> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:28:37 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> To: akhiezer <lfs65 at cruziero.com>,
>         BLFS Support List <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] moving lfs
>
> akhiezer wrote:
>
> > The reason I didn't mention tar is that on various systems and versions, it
> > can (at least historically) be a bit fiddly to preserve some
> > permissions/ownerships/timestamps - depends on how much you're bothered about
> > that - and sometimes chokes on 'special' files: hence the use instead of the
> > likes of cpio; perhaps the newer tars are better in this respect.
>
> Which "special" files?  The only ones I can think of are on virtual or
> temporary filesystems and will be recreated when rebooted.
>
> One way to make sure is to add --one-file-system when creating the archive.

 - sockets, devs, doors, the usual stuff: I interpreted the original problem
sub-item spec as getting a byte-for-byte copy of the lfs partition(s) as-is,
and then restoring them. If instead it's loosened to not bothering about some
items/aspects and allowing/assuming their re-creation automatically, then yeah
fine: but I wouldn't do backups of full-system snapshots that way.

akhiezer