[blfs-support] moving lfs

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Wed Mar 20 13:51:12 PDT 2013

> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:33:48 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> To: akhiezer <lfs65 at cruziero.com>,
>         BLFS Support List <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] moving lfs
>
> akhiezer wrote:
>
> >   - sockets, devs, doors, the usual stuff: I interpreted the original problem
> > sub-item spec as getting a byte-for-byte copy of the lfs partition(s) as-is,
> > and then restoring them. If instead it's loosened to not bothering about some
> > items/aspects and allowing/assuming their re-creation automatically, then yeah
> > fine: but I wouldn't do backups of full-system snapshots that way.
>
> I'm not sure what devs or doors are.  There are seven file types in
> Unix/Linux:  regular, directories, sockets, symbolic links, pipes
> (fifos), block special, and character special.
>
> All special files should be in the /dev directory.  I'm not sure I'd try
> to make a backup of a live system.  There are too many chances of
> something getting out of sync.  Trying to back up /proc or /sys  or any
> other virtual file system seems very problematic to me.
>
>    -- Bruce
>
> Oh, is see a door is specific to solaris.  I haven't used that in 15 years.

'devs' - 'device files' . Pretty much obvious.

Nobody's talking about backups of live filesystems, at least outwith
single-user - other than your leftfield introd of it.

The 'doors' ref is pertinent in the context of explaining to you what items tar
would choke on historically.

The likes of /proc and /sys can backup no-probs at all.

The central point is that if you do a full backup - and that's just what it
means - then you have the option of whether or not you e.g. restore this or that
part of it: whereas if you don't backup certain items then you don't have that
option. One may cut corners with one's own data: but this is concerning someoone
else's.

rgds,
akh