[blfs-support] GUID Partition Tables (GPT)

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 21 04:40:34 PDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 09:29 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
>
>> I have done some (not much) research and it looks like linux only
>> supports booting to gtp partitions only if using 64 bit os.  This is
>> from the Fedora site.  I am going to Arch linux site to see if they say
>> the same.
> What I read was that Windows doesn't support gpt on a 32-bit system.
>
> Here is a link I found:  http://www.funtoo.org/wiki/GUID_Booting_Guide
>
> The example table is outdated.  We really don't want the first partition
> to start at sector 34.  gpt does the right thing by default and aligns
> everything at 1 MiB boundaries.
>
> See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GUID_Partition_Table
>
> Note there is says:
>
> GRUB(2) requires a 1007 KiB BIOS Boot Partition (EF02 type code in gdisk
> and bios_grub flag in GNU Parted) in BIOS systems to embed its core.img
> file due to lack of post-MBR embed gap in GPT disks. Runtime GPT support
> in GRUB(2) is provided by the part_gpt module.
>
> The grub partition is raw (unformatted).  I think I posted this before.
>
> Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
>      1            2082            4129   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot part
>      2            4130          208929   100.0 MiB   8300  Linux fs
>      3          208930         8392737   3.9 GiB     8300  Linux fs
>      4         8392738        11968424   1.7 GiB     8200  Linux swap
>      5        11968425        20971486   4.3 GiB     8300  Linux fs
>
>     -- Bruce

Have a look at this

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPT

It looks very complicated just to get win7 and linux to boot with UEFI
and gpt and I am not sure that I can have a 32 bit linux and a 64 bit linux.

I think I will just stay with MBR and LVM,  much simpler.  I get the
same thing and don't have to  go through all the trouble of setting all
that schist up.  Install Win7 64 bit on sda1, install /boot on sda2,
swap gets sda3 and sda4 gets / on LVM, 32 bit PAE kernel (so I can drink
some wine) another LVM root with 64 bit linux then add grub2 and 3
simple entries to grub.cfg and I am done.

This works for me because I don't have any hard drives larger than 2TB.
I would like to move to gpt partitions but I don't see the merit for all
the trouble to configure it.  Things in the computer realm are not
simple any more too much schist has moved into IT.  It was much simpler
in 1996 and look at where most projects are now.  I don't call that
progress, just change for the sake of change.

Look at you folks trying to get a standard version of LFS scratch out...
before you can finalize a release many more packages have changed.  Not
to even consider get BLFS-7.3 version "finished". The question then
becomeis why,  do the new packages actually fix something or just change
things ( break things) and add  several more pounds of dependencies for
little or no benefit?  I think debian is on to something.

There is no way I can finish my desktop system....I am now just getting
LFS-7.3 finished and when I get to BLFS there are more packages in LFS
will have changed.  I thing is... is it actually good or just change by
a bunch of younger developers who don't even try to understand how Unix
came to be?