[blfs-support] VTE + Python

Nicholas McCurdy mindwarpstudios at aim.com
Thu Mar 21 15:46:22 PDT 2013

I am attempting to satisfy a build dependency for python-vte.

VTE and and Python 2.7 are installed as per instructions in BLFS (Python was installed prior to VTE); from my googling, the VTE package *used to* install Python Bindings...

I have checked my environment following the VTE build/install and while pkg-config recognizes the installed libraries, there's definitely no connection to Python being established.

I guess my question is this: Is there a ./configure switch that I'm missing in the --help documentation that would enable the build of python-vte bindings?  And if not, does someone here know of a previous (hopefully not too old) version of VTE that would create them?

Googling revealed a discussion thread from 2004 or '05 that showed this resolved by a rebuild of the VTE package...  not sure I want to roll that far back!

Any ideas would be helpful.

As a side note: the same set of build dependencies also requires python-wnck bindings which the current gnome-python-desktop SHOULD have built; however, the version of WNCK in BLFS built libwnck-3.0 and current gnome-python-desktop is only looking for libwnck-1.0...  That one was an easy fix, and I guess I'm crossing fingers for a similarly simple solution.

Nicholas McCurdy
mindwarpstudios at aim.com