[blfs-support] Missing cursor in text (console) mode - revisited

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 14:29:37 PDT 2013

SUMMARY/COMPLAINT (Mar. 18, 2013  23:22:38 GMT)

After boot-up I have the console cursor on one drive (520) and
not on the other (320).

Hi Bruce:

I've just had a "mini" breakthrough by observing my cursor is absent
as early as the grub start-up (i.e. not a later-on kernel config
situation as had been suspected (and hoped)).

I found a

GNU GRUB - Bugs: bug #28011 (13 Nov 2009),
 Cursor missing at command line or editing entry:
 http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?28011

which describes my problem accurately.

(Un)fortunately the bug is shown as Fixed and Closed
and there are no comments (helpful or otherwise).

My grub (with the problem) is v1.97.

I noticed at
 ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/
two grub offerings, 1.99 and 2.00.

I'm wondering if the above grub-1.99 is of the "Grub-1" variety
(as opposed to 2.00 which must be in the "GRUB 2" class).

If I try to re-install/update grub I'd like to make as few and
as little waves as possible (I don't feel up to GRUB 2 yet).

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom,
-- Alex