[blfs-support] usbfs noise, unstable-kernel-headers, polkit, kde-4.14.3,

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Wed Dec 3 01:01:49 PST 2014

Greetings

I have a blfs system at long last with  a GUI  -( kde-4.14.3 ). I have both
systemd and sysVinit. My build  started life about two years ago    The
original kernel headers are linux-3.10_rc6 I beleive.  Now I am running
3.10.61..

There is a problem with usbFS.  I was working on the command line exclusively
and whenever a usb stick/hard-drive is plugged in, a  string of numbers was
triggered that  made it diffuclt to work in a bash shell.
 Now I have kde-4.14.3 running   and plugging in a stick is immediataly
recognised in dolphin.  And there  is no noise in konsole.  However   an
attempt to open the usb stick in dolphin  fails with the following message:-

----An error occurred while addressing 'STICK'   The system responded  "you
are not authorised  to perform   the operation'.  Not authorized to perform
operation ( polkit authority not available to caller not UID 0 ). ----

HOWEVER The stick can be mounted on the command-line  as root  ( mount
./dev/sdX.  /mount/point )

Advice on
--A-- how to fix the  polkit problem in kde

and on
--B-- a fix  ( if any of the noise   with usb sticks on the command line
(which   is only with usbFS   -as  when I plugged in usb-HSMs (for example )
they are quiet )

and on
--C-- whether the  use of   release-candidate ( linux-3.10_rc6) kernel headers
in the original ( lfs toolchain) build may be the cause of noisy usbFS
problems

 will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely