[blfs-support] Moving Grub to a different partition

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 02:15:18 PST 2014

On 3 December 2014 at 20:12, Cliff McDiarmid <cliffhanger at gardener.com>
wrote:

> Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 at 7:44 PM
> From: "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> To: "BLFS Support List" <blfs-support at lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Moving Grub to a different partition
> Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have two LFS installations, on different partitions, on the same
> > drive(/dev/sda). I have the older LFS(/dev/sda7) , with grub, booting at
> > present to the grub menu. I need the new LFS(/dev/sda6) to take over the
> > booting, so I've installed Grub to this LFS.
> > Am I right in thinking that I now need to run(from the new LFS):
> >
> > 'grub-install --root-directory=/boot/grub /dev/sda'
> >
> > to activate, having earlier deleted Grub from the old LFS and copied
> the'grub.cfg' file over?
>

> >What I recommend is to create a separate partition for /boot. It does
> >not need to be large. 100 or 200 MB is sufficient. I use ext2 since a
> >journal is not really needed for a partition that is rarely written.
>
> >Then move all your kernels, configs, and System-maps there and mount as
> >/boot. Enter the partition in in fstab.
>
> >Now all your installs can share the same /boot and there is no confusion
> >about how to share kernels or where grub.cfg is located.
>
> Yes your right, this is the best way.  I've not gone for it in the past,
> but now's the time.
>
> many thanks

Another advantage of the approach Bruce has detailed is that you can then,
if you wish, have /boot on a completely separate device.  I boot from tiny
USB flash drives (formatted with ext2) which makes a very flexible system.
I can clone new flash drives easily with dd and use them to boot other
boxes just by changing the path to the new rootfs.  I use syslinux rather
than grub, but the principle is the same.

I've now gone a step further, and using a 16GB flash drive (~£6) I have
three GPT partitions, one /boot (100MB), one swap/hibernate (9GB), and the
remainder for a recovery LFS that I can boot into, if necessary, from the
syslinux menu.

As a point of information, a separate /boot doesn't have to be mounted in
order to function.

Richard