[blfs-support] Moving Grub to a different partition

Googlemail hazeldebian at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 04:56:59 PST 2014

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 12:19:43 +0000
Richard Melville <richard.melville69 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > >What I recommend is to create a separate partition for /boot. It does
> > >not need to be large. 100 or 200 MB is sufficient. I use ext2 since a
> > >journal is not really needed for a partition that is rarely written.
> >
> > >Then move all your kernels, configs, and System-maps there and mount as
> > >/boot. Enter the partition in in fstab.
> >
> > >Now all your installs can share the same /boot and there is no confusion
> > >about how to share kernels or where grub.cfg is located.
> >
> > >Yes your right, this is the best way.  I've not gone for it in the past,
> > but now's the time.
> >

> > >As a point of information, a separate /boot doesn't have to be mounted in
> > order to function.
> >
> > Okay.  This seems contrary to the LFS book or am I not understanding this?
>

> I don't wish to confuse you Cliff; I'm just saying that a separate /boot
> can be mounted, or not, and still function.  If in doubt, follow the book.
>
> Richard

Think of it this way: you need to mount a partition to access it with any program that runs under the control of your kernel. But a bootloader like GRUB accesses the partition directly, not through a mountpoint. So you only need a mountpoint for that partition in *one* of your systems for editing purposes, not in all of them.
--
Hazel Russman