[blfs-support] BLFS Book v2014-12-03 nitpicks

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:43:02 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:

> On 05.12.2014 01:32, alex lupu wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Fernando de Oliveira <
> famobr at yahoo.com.br>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> ​ ...​
> >>

> > ​   ​
> > ​> ​
> > gnutls-3.3.10

> >> ​​
> >> unbound-anchor -a /etc/unbound/root.key

> >> I have in my log:
> >>
> >> {{{
> >> checking whether to build libdane... yes
> >> checking for unbound library... no
> >> configure: WARNING:
> >> ***
> >> *** libunbound was not found. Libdane will not be built.
> >> ***
> >> checking for P11_KIT... yes
> >> }}}
> >>
> >> ​Hi Fernando,
> >
> > Your words above do not seem to "clash" with mine.​
> >
> > ​  On my system​
> >
> > ​$ find / -type f -name "libunbound.so*" -exec ls -l {} \;
> > ... root root 723919 Dec  3 22:43 /usr/lib/libunbound.so.2.3.3​
> >
> > ​which reinforces the fact that I did have "unbound" around at the time
> of
> > gnutls compile,
> > _and_
> > after I ran the command (as "suggested​" by gnutls 'configure')
> > ​
> >
> ​​
> unbound-anchor -a /etc/unbound/root.key
>
> That looks like something that needs to be done when installing unbound.

​Hi Armin,

I'm not aware if that "something" you mentioned about is part of any BLFS
instructions​

​(unbound, GnuTLS or any place else).  I did it just because GnuTLS
"suggested" I should do.  I felt it would be, in general, hard to correlate
​other than
as I suggested by

1.  Making unbound a must for GnuTLS.
2.  During unbound build instructions include a "
​
unbound-anchor -a
​...".

This would prevent the unsuspecting unbound-less user ​jumping directly to
GnuTLS build.

So, correct me if I'm wrong - That's needed for GnuTLS when unbound is
> present, otherwise GnuTLS configure script would fail or simply complain?

​Here, you hit a raw nerve :)
1.  ​The 'configure' works as perfectly as one can ever expect.
2.  However, I've been having huge, unusual and so far intractable problems
with
compiling ('make') GnuTLS despite being current and clean with most of the
dependencies (especially the requireds).
Could it be the "perfect" 'configure' after all (while missing some obscure
- but critical - option)?
I have reasons to suspect "autogen" here (I'm at a dismal 2007 v5.9).
Unfortunately, the latest version, 5.18.4 has been failing miserably
(again, at 'make', after some "perfect" 'configure's).
I got so frustrated, I wrote to Bruce Korb (against my better judgment)
desperately pleading for some help, any help.
His answer may never come ... :'(

Thanks,
-- Alex